Georgian Khachapuri Recipe

itsmepat

Novice Foodie
khachapuri.jpg

Khachapuri is a delicious Georgian cheese-filled bread that’s often enjoyed as a snack or main dish. I recently made this, and the combination of warm, gooey cheese and freshly baked bread is absolutely irresistible! There are different regional variations, but I’ll share a classic Adjarian-style recipe that has a lovely boat shape topped with an egg. Let’s get started! 🥖🧀

Ingredients:​

For the Dough:
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp instant yeast
  • 1 1/4 cups warm water (about 110°F/43°C)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil (or melted butter)
For the Filling:
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or a mix of mozzarella and feta)
  • 1 cup ricotta cheese (or cottage cheese)
  • 1 egg
  • Salt and pepper to taste
For Topping:
  • 2 eggs (one for each Khachapuri)
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • Chopped fresh parsley or cilantro (for garnish)

Instructions:​

1. Make the Dough: In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, sugar, and yeast. Gradually add the warm water and olive oil, mixing until a dough forms. Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 5-7 minutes until smooth and elastic.
  2. Let It Rise: Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover it with a damp cloth, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1-1.5 hours, or until it doubles in size.
  3. Prepare the Filling: In a mixing bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, and the egg. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix well until combined.
  4. Shape the Khachapuri: Preheat your oven to 475°F (245°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Punch down the risen dough and divide it into two equal portions. Roll each portion into a long oval shape.
  5. Create the Boat Shape: On each oval, make a border by rolling the edges inward to create a thicker crust, pinching the ends to form a point.
  6. Fill with Cheese: Spoon the cheese mixture into the center of each shaped dough, leaving the borders empty.
  7. Bake: Bake in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until the bread is golden and the cheese is bubbling.
  8. Add Egg and Butter: Remove from the oven, and carefully crack an egg on top of each Khachapuri. Return to the oven for another 3-5 minutes, until the egg is set to your liking. Remove from the oven and add a pat of butter on top of each Khachapuri.
  9. Garnish and Serve: Sprinkle with fresh parsley or cilantro before serving.
This Georgian Khachapuri is a heavenly dish that brings warmth and comfort to any meal. The combination of crispy bread, melted cheese, and a runny egg makes for an incredible flavor experience. It’s perfect for sharing with friends and family—enjoy every bite! 😊

Wow, this Georgian Khachapuri looks amazing! 😍 I love the cheesy goodness and that dough! It’s such a fun dish to share. Can’t wait to give this a try—perfect for cozy nights in! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Wow, that sounds amazing! 😍 I love the idea of warm, gooey cheese in bread! Adjarian-style khachapuri with an egg on top sounds like the perfect comfort food. Can’t wait to try making it! 🥖❤️

Back