Healthy Bean-Packed Chili

mndynthn12

Culinary Explorer
Hey there, foodies! I'm here to share a treasured family recipe with you, passed down through generations from my beloved grandmother's kitchen. You see, my grandma was a master at creating hearty, comforting meals, especially her signature chili, which has been a staple in our family for generations. But while we love the classic chili flavor, we also prioritize our health. So, in true grandma fashion, she crafted a lighter version of her famous chili—just as flavorful but with fewer calories and less fat. With her bean-packed chili recipe, you get all the warmth and spice you crave, along with a whole lot of love. Let's honor my grandma's legacy and enjoy this wholesome, comforting bowl of goodness together!

Healthy Bean-Packed Chili

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 cups of chopped yellow onion (about 1 large onion)
2 cups of chopped poblano chiles (approximately 2 large chiles)
1 1/2 pounds of ground sirloin
3 tablespoons of ancho chile powder
2 tablespoons of ground cumin
2 teaspoons of smoked paprika
2 teaspoons of kosher salt
1 teaspoon of ground coriander
1 teaspoon of dried oregano
1 (6-ounce) can of no-salt-added tomato paste (about 3/4 cup)
2 tablespoons of finely chopped garlic (about 6 garlic cloves)
4 (15-ounce) cans of no-salt-added beans (such as black, pinto, and dark red kidney beans), drained and rinsed
1 (28-ounce) can of diced fire-roasted tomatoes
Toppings: plain whole-milk yogurt, shredded cheese, cilantro leaves, sliced radish
Lime wedges, for serving

Healthy Bean-Packed Chili.jpg

Directions:

1. Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onion and poblano chiles. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chiles are softened and the onion turns translucent, which usually takes about 5 minutes.

2. Next, add the ground sirloin to the onion mixture in the Dutch oven. Cook it, stirring occasionally, until the meat is crumbly, usually about 4 to 5 minutes.

3. Now it's time to add the ancho chile powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, kosher salt, ground coriander, and dried oregano. Keep stirring constantly until the spices are toasted and start giving off a fragrant aroma, which typically takes about 1 minute.

4. Then, add the tomato paste and chopped garlic. Continue stirring constantly until the tomato paste darkens slightly, and the garlic becomes fragrant, usually another minute.

5. Now, stir in the drained and rinsed beans, diced fire-roasted tomatoes, and 2 cups of water into the Dutch oven. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Once it reaches a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and let it simmer, covered and undisturbed, until it thickens slightly, which usually takes about 15 minutes.

6. After simmering, remove the chili from the heat and let it cool slightly. Then, divide it evenly among bowls, add your desired toppings like plain whole-milk yogurt, shredded cheese, cilantro leaves, and sliced radish, and serve with lime wedges.

Get ready to enjoy a bowl of this hearty and wholesome chili that's perfect for warming you up on chilly days or for sharing with loved ones. You can customize the toppings to suit your taste preferences, and most importantly, savor every delicious bite!

I think a healthy, bean-packed chili is a fantastic way to nourish both body and soul. 😊 Though it's hearty and satisfying, it's also loaded with fiber and nutrients, making it a guilt-free indulgence. 🌶️ Plus, it's so versatile—you can customize it with your favorite veggies and toppings! 🥕🥑

With all those nutritious ingredients like beans, poblano chiles, and fire-roasted tomatoes, it's sure to be a comforting bowl of goodness. Can't wait to honor your grandma's legacy by giving this wholesome chili a try!🥰

Back