Hibiscus Rosewater Panna Cotta with Candied Violets

Cora_Bates

Culinary Explorer
This past weekend, I stumbled upon a recipe for Hibiscus Rosewater Panna Cotta with Candied Violets, and let me tell you, it was a revelation! It's a light and refreshing dessert with a beautiful floral aroma and a vibrant pink hue. The panna cotta itself is incredibly smooth and creamy, with a subtle sweetness from the hibiscus tea and a hint of rosewater. The candied violets add a touch of elegance and a delightful burst of floral flavor and texture.

This dessert is perfect for a spring or summer gathering. It's visually stunning and requires minimal effort, making it a great option for those who want to impress without spending hours in the kitchen.

Hibiscus Rosewater Panna Cotta with Candied Violets.jpeg

Ingredients:

• For the Panna Cotta:
    • 2 cups heavy cream
    • 1/2 cup milk
    • 1/2 cup dried hibiscus flowers
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 1 tablespoon rosewater
    • 1 envelope (1/4 ounce) gelatin packets
    • Fresh edible rose petals (optional, for garnish)
  • For the Candied Violets:
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 1/2 cup water
    • 1 cup fresh violets
Procedure:

1. Make the Panna Cotta: In a medium saucepan, combine the heavy cream, milk, hibiscus flowers, and sugar. Heat over medium heat until simmering, then remove from heat and let steep for 30 minutes. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, discarding the solids.
  2. Stir in the rosewater and sprinkle the gelatin packets over the surface. Let sit for 5 minutes to soften.
  3. Gently heat the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Do not let the mixture boil.
  4. Pour the panna cotta mixture into individual serving glasses or ramekins. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or until set.
  5. Make the Candied Violets: While the panna cotta sets, prepare the candied violets. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves.
  6. Remove the syrup from heat and carefully add the violets. Let them soak in the syrup for at least 2 hours, or until they become translucent.
  7. To Serve: Carefully remove the panna cotta from the refrigerator. Garnish each serving with a few candied violets and fresh rose petals (optional).
Tips:

• Make sure to use food-grade dried hibiscus flowers and fresh violets for this recipe.
  • If you can't find fresh violets, you can substitute with pansies.
  • The candied violets can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
  • For a richer flavor, you can substitute heavy whipping cream for the heavy cream in the panna cotta recipe.
I hope you try this delightful and unique dessert! Let me know how it turns out in the comments below.

This past weekend, I stumbled upon a recipe for Hibiscus Rosewater Panna Cotta with Candied Violets, and let me tell you, it was a revelation! It's a light and refreshing dessert with a beautiful floral aroma and a vibrant pink hue. The panna cotta itself is incredibly smooth and creamy, with a subtle sweetness from the hibiscus tea and a hint of rosewater. The candied violets add a touch of elegance and a delightful burst of floral flavor and texture.

This dessert is perfect for a spring or summer gathering. It's visually stunning and requires minimal effort, making it a great option for those who want to impress without spending hours in the kitchen.

View attachment 1371

Ingredients:

• For the Panna Cotta:
    • 2 cups heavy cream
    • 1/2 cup milk
    • 1/2 cup dried hibiscus flowers
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 1 tablespoon rosewater
    • 1 envelope (1/4 ounce) gelatin packets
    • Fresh edible rose petals (optional, for garnish)
  • For the Candied Violets:
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 1/2 cup water
    • 1 cup fresh violets
Procedure:

1. Make the Panna Cotta: In a medium saucepan, combine the heavy cream, milk, hibiscus flowers, and sugar. Heat over medium heat until simmering, then remove from heat and let steep for 30 minutes. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve, discarding the solids.
  2. Stir in the rosewater and sprinkle the gelatin packets over the surface. Let sit for 5 minutes to soften.
  3. Gently heat the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly, until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Do not let the mixture boil.
  4. Pour the panna cotta mixture into individual serving glasses or ramekins. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or until set.
  5. Make the Candied Violets: While the panna cotta sets, prepare the candied violets. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves.
  6. Remove the syrup from heat and carefully add the violets. Let them soak in the syrup for at least 2 hours, or until they become translucent.
  7. To Serve: Carefully remove the panna cotta from the refrigerator. Garnish each serving with a few candied violets and fresh rose petals (optional).
Tips:

• Make sure to use food-grade dried hibiscus flowers and fresh violets for this recipe.
  • If you can't find fresh violets, you can substitute with pansies.
  • The candied violets can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
  • For a richer flavor, you can substitute heavy whipping cream for the heavy cream in the panna cotta recipe.
I hope you try this delightful and unique dessert! Let me know how it turns out in the comments below.
Who knew we could make dessert and a centerpiece all in one? I might just have to put these panna cottas on display before devouring them!

It's a great timing that I will host a party this weekend and I'm still looking for a perfect dessert and I think I would add this one on my list. 😋😉

Back