Mofongo Stuffed with Criollo Shrimp Stew

Ui Ui

Culinary Explorer
Hey there, food lovers! 🦐✨ I tried this amazing Mofongo stuffed with Criollo Shrimp Stew yesterday, and let me tell you, it was a game changer! This dish is packed with flavor and has a beautiful mix of textures. If you’re looking to impress your family or friends, this is definitely the way to go! Let's dive into the recipe!

Mofongo Stuffed with Criollo Shrimp Stew.jpg
Ingredients

Shrimp Stew:

• 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 2 teaspoons adobo seasoning
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 3 Manzanilla olives, roughly chopped, plus 1 teaspoon brine
  • 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 jarred roasted red bell pepper, chopped
  • One 8-ounce can light beer
  • 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup tomato sauce
  • 1 cup frozen green peas
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
Mofongo:
  • 2 cups corn or grapeseed oil, for frying
  • 3 large or 4 medium green plantains (about 2 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
  • Kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3 small cloves garlic, grated
  • 1/2 cup pork rinds, crushed (optional)

Directions

Special equipment:
A large mortar and pestle
  1. Start by patting the shrimp dry with paper towels. Toss them with the adobo seasoning, a pinch of salt, and some freshly cracked pepper in a bowl. Set that aside for now.
  2. Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oregano, smoked paprika, chopped olives and brine, cilantro, onion, and roasted red bell pepper. Season with a pinch of salt and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring often, until the onions are translucent. Pour in half of the beer, scraping up any tasty brown bits from the bottom. Let it cook for a minute. Now, add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and the rest of the beer. Cook over medium-high heat until the liquids reduce by about a third (roughly 5 minutes). Then, turn the heat down low and keep it warm.
  3. For the mofongo, heat a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat and add the corn oil. Heat it until it bubbles when you dip a wooden spoon in (around 325°F).
  4. Carefully add the plantains to the hot oil, lowering the heat to low. Fry them, flipping halfway through, until they’re light golden and cooked through but not crispy—this should take about 15 minutes. Drain the fried plantains on paper towels and sprinkle with salt.
  5. In a mortar and pestle, combine the olive oil and grated garlic to make a paste. Season it with about 1 teaspoon of salt and set it aside.
  6. Take 5 to 6 chunks of the fried plantains, 1 tablespoon of the garlic oil mixture, and about 2 tablespoons of crushed pork rinds (if you’re using them) and mash them together in the mortar and pestle until well combined. Scoop out the mofongo and shape it into a bowl to hold the shrimp stew. Repeat this process until you have four mofongo bowls.
  7. To finish, heat the shrimp stew back up over medium-high heat until it simmers. Stir in the peas and let them cook for a minute. Then, add the shrimp and lemon juice, cooking until the shrimp are pink and cooked through (around 3 to 4 minutes).
  8. Serve the mofongo on plates and spoon the delicious shrimp stew right into the center of each mofongo bowl. Enjoy!

Cook’s Note​

You can also serve this dish family-style, with everyone getting their own mofongo and helping themselves to the shrimp stew. It’s a fun and tasty way to enjoy this flavorful dish!

I hope you enjoy making this as much as I did! It’s a dish that’s sure to impress and satisfy! 🥳

This Mofongo Stuffed with Criollo Shrimp Stew looks absolutely delicious! I love the combination of flavors and the creativity in stuffing the mofongo. It seems like a fantastic dish for a special dinner. I can’t wait to try making this at home! 🍤🥘

Back