Tex Mex Paste Recipe

Kitty

Culinary Explorer
You'll surely make one!
Tex Mex Paste Recipe.jpg
Creating a Tex Mex paste involves combining bold flavors typical of Tex Mex cuisine into a concentrated form that can be used to season various dishes. Here’s a simple recipe for a Tex Mex paste:
Ingredients:
  • 3 dried ancho chilies
  • 2 dried guajillo chilies
  • 2 dried chipotle chilies (optional, for extra heat and smokiness)
  • 1 small onion, roughly chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon ground coriander
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
Instructions:
  1. Prepare the Chilies:
    • Remove the stems and seeds from the dried chilies. Heat a dry skillet over medium heat and toast the chilies for about 1-2 minutes per side until they become fragrant. Be careful not to burn them. Place the toasted chilies in a bowl and cover with hot water. Let them soak for about 20-30 minutes until softened.
  2. Make the Paste:
    • In a blender or food processor, combine the soaked chilies (drained), chopped onion, garlic, ground cumin, ground coriander, dried oregano, smoked paprika, black pepper, salt, and lime juice. Blend until smooth.
  3. Cook the Paste:
    • Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet or saucepan over medium heat. Add the blended mixture to the hot oil. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 5-7 minutes until the paste darkens in color and the flavors meld together. Adjust the seasoning with more salt or lime juice if needed.
  4. Store or Use Immediately:
    • Let the Tex Mex paste cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week, or frozen for longer storage.
  5. Usage:
    • Use the Tex Mex paste as a marinade for meats, a base for sauces and soups, or as a seasoning for tacos, enchiladas, or any Tex Mex-inspired dishes. Dilute with a bit of broth or water if using as a sauce base.
This paste will impart a rich, spicy, and smoky flavor characteristic of Tex Mex cuisine to your dishes. Adjust the amount of chipotle chilies for more heat, or add other spices according to your taste preferences. Enjoy experimenting with this versatile Tex Mex paste!

This Tex Mex paste recipe looks amazing! 🌶️🌮 Can't wait to try it out—I bet it adds such a kick to tacos and enchiladas. Thanks for sharing!

This Tex Mex Paste Recipe looks like a flavor explosion! 🌮🔥 I’m so excited to try it and add some zing to my dishes. Thanks for sharing the deliciousness!

This recipe looks fantastic! I love how versatile the Tex Mex paste is. I’m definitely going to try this out, especially as a marinade for some grilled chicken. The combination of ancho and guajillo chilies sounds like it’ll pack a punch. Thanks for sharing! 🌶️

Back