I cooked the best steak 🥩 I've ever had in my entire life last night (at home) ✨

laplus

Tasty Apprentice
I'd consider myself a decent cook; it's one of my favorite hobbies, but I'm nowhere near the level of anything that would be considered remotely professional. That's why I was so happy with the way this steak turned out. I've had my fair share of "nice steaks" from good restaurants, but I don't eat a ton of steaks anymore (maybe once every other month or so). So here I am, sharing to you my recipe that turned out to be the best steak I ever had!

For the ingredients:
  • Thickish cut steak – no more than 2.5cm/1″ thick, because we want to cook this entirely on the stove (thicker cuts need to be finished in the oven). Ideal steaks: boneless rib eye / scotch fillet, porterhouse / New York, T-bone. Grade: takes high quality steak over the top amazing, really elevates economical steak.
  • Butter, garlic and fresh thyme
Cooking the steak:
  • Bring to room temp! This makes an amazing difference to cooking through evenly rather than ending up with a thick overcooked band in order for the very centre to be cooked to your liking;
  • Pat dry and season the steak generously with salt and pepper – this helps form that amazing crust we all know and love about great steaks;
  • Get your skillet SMOKING HOT before putting the steak in – again, for the crust
  • WARNING: The butter will sputter when you add the thyme, so stand back!
  • Take the steak off the stove BEFORE your desired internal temperature because the internal temperature will continue to rise as it rests; and
  • REST your steak for 5 to 10 minutes so it sucks its own juices back in and the fibres relax. This is a must-do step for any protein you cook hard and fast!
I've just cooked one very large steak here because fitting two in the medium-sized skillet was too crowded. I use the same amount of butter whether making one or two steaks because you need a minimum amount to ensure there's enough to easily spoon over the steak as it cooks.

steak.jpg

Wow, your steak recipe sounds amazing! 😋 I love how you've shared all those little tips and tricks to make sure it turns out perfectly every time. It's great to hear from someone who's not a professional chef but still knows how to cook a killer steak. Bringing the steak to room temperature, seasoning generously, and getting that skillet smoking hot are all key steps that I often overlook. And I never knew about the butter sputtering when adding thyme – thanks for the heads up! Can't wait to give this recipe a try and impress my friends and family with my newfound steak-cooking skills. Thanks for sharing your secrets! 🥩🔥

Yo, what's up! Man, your steak recipe has got me craving a juicy piece right now. I can almost smell the sizzle through the screen. Gonna have to try this out for sure.

Sounds like you’ve achieved steak perfection; your kitchen is officially the new steakhouse in town!

Back