Varenyky Recipe

strawberrykiss0325

Culinary Explorer
Hey folks! 👋 Sharing a taste of Ukraine with you today! One of my absolute favorites: Varenyky! These tasty dumplings are packed with flavor and warmth, perfect for any occasion.
Varenyky Recipe.jpg

Ingredients:

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Filling of your choice (potato and cheese is a classic!)
Instructions:

1. In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Make a well in the center and add the egg and water. Gradually incorporate the flour into the wet ingredients until a dough forms.
  2. Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 5 minutes, until it becomes smooth and elastic. Cover with a damp cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes.
  3. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about 1/8 inch thickness. Use a round cutter or a glass to cut out circles of dough.
  4. Place a spoonful of filling in the center of each dough circle. Fold the dough over the filling to form a half-moon shape and pinch the edges to seal.
  5. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Drop the varenyky into the boiling water and cook for about 5 minutes, or until they float to the surface.
  6. Remove the varenyky with a slotted spoon and serve hot with sour cream or melted butter and fried onions.

Varenyky is such a comfort food for me, and I love the potato and cheese filling – so classic! Sometimes I mix it up with a bit of sautéed onion in the filling for extra flavor. Can't wait to try this version. Do you have any tips for making sure the dough doesn't tear when sealing the dumplings? Thanks again! 🥟😊

These Varenyky look delicious! 😋 Love that they're so versatile coz you can fill them with anything! Perfect for a cozy comfort food night 🤩

Hey folks! 👋 Sharing a taste of Ukraine with you today! One of my absolute favorites: Varenyky! These tasty dumplings are packed with flavor and warmth, perfect for any occasion.
View attachment 3482

Ingredients:

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Filling of your choice (potato and cheese is a classic!)
Instructions:

1. In a large bowl, mix together the flour and salt. Make a well in the center and add the egg and water. Gradually incorporate the flour into the wet ingredients until a dough forms.
  2. Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 5 minutes, until it becomes smooth and elastic. Cover with a damp cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes.
  3. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about 1/8 inch thickness. Use a round cutter or a glass to cut out circles of dough.
  4. Place a spoonful of filling in the center of each dough circle. Fold the dough over the filling to form a half-moon shape and pinch the edges to seal.
  5. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Drop the varenyky into the boiling water and cook for about 5 minutes, or until they float to the surface.
  6. Remove the varenyky with a slotted spoon and serve hot with sour cream or melted butter and fried onions.
I've been craving Varenyky lately! Can't wait to try making them at home with this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for sharing it with us. Varenyky is such a comforting dish, and your recipe seems simple yet delicious. Have you ever tried experimenting with different fillings, like potatoes and cheese or sauerkraut and mushrooms?

Back